Thursday, June 14, 2012

Joint Chiefs-General Dempsey

Jesse has me quite figured out.  When I am doubting our path in this active-duty Army lifestyle, just throw a good ceremony my way and I am back to believing! 

Not only did my husband receive a wonderful award, but he received it from the highest ranking man in our United States Military!  
Little did I know that we would be having a picture taken like this.....
Or like this....
Or this...

If only Blake knew who she held up her arms to while General Dempsey made his way over to talk with me and the kids. 
We had a lovely conversation about his grandkids, Jesse's fine job in his office, where we live, where we are from, how great it was to have kids in the Flag Room, and how much he appreciates military families.  We joked about our new Christmas card shown above as Blake laid her head on his shoulder while we talked. 
She usually does that with high ranking people...the President....members of Congress...you know, the normal crowd we roll with:-)
We headed into work with Jesse early that fine morning for a gathering full of food in his office. 
His boss, COL Davis, awarded Jesse with this beautiful framed picture and everyone in the office signed the back.  Not the normal signing of the back that we are used to....
Since Jesse was/is the intern...the comments were quite comical.
After experiencing a morning of mingling with the higher ups,
we headed to the Pentagon courtyard to find the celebration of the Army turning 237 years old taking place.
If all are familiar with the TLC show "DC Cupcakes"...
then you will know how fun it was to roll up on this sight!
And since I was feeling pretty ballsy from talking with the most powerful person in our military,
(which Jesse said I received more time one-on-one with General Dempsey than most people beg for...)
I decided to walk right up and get my picture taken with the sisters of Georgetown Cupcakes!
And all I could hear in my head is my sister Kelly saying, "Yeah Cake!"

What a wonderful morning we experienced together as a family in this military world.
One I wish our parents would've been apart of. 
Just walking into the Flag Room at the Pentagon alone was an experience I will never forget..
nor will I forget being placed directly in the front seats(I pleaded with the woman seating us to put our crazy in the back, but she told me this ceremony was for my husband.  We must be in the front!) while I shot "the look" at the kids every second they took a breath... telling them how they better behave!   
I told them as we sat down that this ceremony was like church, but way worse!!   No moving, talking or breathing for that matter:-)
They all did exceptionally well.  
Except for Blake who decided to start crying the second the General was giving out his first award. But I give her credit since we waited awhile for him to enter this private room due to being wrapped up in a matter that had to do with the President-:)
I quickly rushed to flee her from the front, but was called out by the General to sit back down!
I quickly said, "Yes Sir!" as my face turned a bright shade of red while he told the crowd how much he enjoyed the sound of a baby crying. 
Well then, he invited the right family! 

So proud of Jesse and all his hard work with the Legislative Affairs Office for the last year.  
May his new job with the Public Affairs Office be just as rewarding.

Never in a million years did I envision a day like Thursday.
I am like a military high ranking groupie now...don't mess:-)


3 comments:

Noel Paukert said...

WOW! That's all I can say so I'll say it again...WOW!!!!!!!!!!!

Mom said...

So proud of all of you...wish we would have been there!

Ellen said...

You famous, girl!!!