Sunday, March 10, 2013

Issues.....

Life around here has been rapidly off course.  I have been spending more time scheduling doctors appointments, painfully waiting for referrals to activate, and just frankly in massive amounts of pain. I know I stated a couple blogs ago that I was not going to speak of my jaw.  But I guess I lied to you all.  I'm sorry:-(.  I am going to be that annoying talk about my health all the time lady.  But as we all know, I tend to use this blog as my therapy...

As I type, I find myself 7 lbs lighter than the last blog.   Yes, I know.  Such a bummer.....but it goes to show the amount of pain that my head as been causing my body.  Please the next time you see me don't go, " She doesn't look lighter!"  Because all my husband is doing is throwing food at me every second. And yes, I eat it!  I've endured another round of Botox to the head....but this time awake during the process.  It's not like those Botox parties you see on TV either.  Most of those ladies are drunk already.   30 shots to the skull area and 6 in the forehead. Each one more painful than the last.  And the sound....oh buddy!  Crunch....crunch!   After 3 days, I lost my 2 forehead lines. Bonus!   Okay,  stay with me....I know what you are thinking.....no wrinkles and weight loss!  That b#%+*!

The Botox itself  takes away muscle function and relieves pain from my head.   So why on earth was I still telling the doctor that my head was in such pain.  Where my head connects to the spine...was puzzling my maxillofacial specialist.   Send home with more pain pills and a referral into neurology. Try getting yourself into Neuro in Walter Reed.  A week passed, ER visit came and went....my doctors finally pulled some strings.  Thank goodness because the army referral system to civilian doctors is for the birds.  Don't even get me started.  I have never been in so much pain and not be able to get help.  The ER doc blamed it on Obama care as I flinched in pain.

As my left arm went numb from shoulder to finger tips and my upper spine increasingly setting my head on fire, I was seen in Neuro on Friday.   The Doc listened to me.   Felt he had a quick fix for my head pain.  Showed me diagrams of nerves and told me he could get a handle on my situation.   Until he started the exam.   Come to find that my thumb and a couple fingers on the left hand have no muscle function.  Which means nerve failure.  I completely bombed the prick test in my upper neck, left shoulder/arm/fingers.  A MRI referral is set.   My quick fix to my nerves happened at that very appointment.   He told me that it was an easy fix as stated before.  If by easy, he meant another injection to the head.   Yeah.  Awful.  I was told to lay flat on my stomach, face down.   A needle was being prepared with my drugs mixed together.  He injected a nerve blocker into the base of my head.   Pushed the needle into the the first layer...stopped.  Pushed further...stopped...and on and on.   My toes were curling and my eyes were releasing tears.  Many moons later, he withdrew the needle from my head.

It is now Sunday.  My head still feels as if there is a needle stuck into the back of it.  I have been diagnosed with a chronic pain disorder.  When my pain is treated with all of these methods, my brain picks a new location to place the pain.   It is very common with the trauma that I endured to the head in this type of car crash.  Fun.   I sound like a crazy person to Jesse when at night I am screaming in my sleep for him to take the needle out of my head!  All of the doctors believe that all of this trauma occurred at the time of the accident to my head and spine.  I have been living with each issue for 14 years.  14 years.

The MRI will show exactly were the nerves are losing function.  Surgery may be a fix but due to the location of where the problems are, it may be considered best to leave alone.

Much love to my hubby for taking such great care of me.  To my kids for sitting in bed with me.   To my parents and my in-laws for offering to drop everything to help out.   I am functioning, but at a slower pace with dirty floors and bathrooms.  Life will all be OK!

Thanks for letting me tell my drama.  Hope to be back to light and fluffy soon...stay with me!

1 comment:

Ellen said...

So sorry to hear this. I will pray that you may get some relief and soon!