Tuesday, January 27, 2015
Not SO Fast!
Today, brought different news to us with the Army job forefront. As I blogged about last time, Jesse was supposed to deploy fast and furious. What I didn't tell was….his orders were to Yemen. He was going to take residence in the Embassy and be gone for the next 13 months. A shocking, yet unheard of assignment in the Aviation world.
After Jesse returned to work and kept me away from the news; a friend texted me to turn on the TV, FAST! Great I thought….I bet it is about Yemen. The genius that I am as I dialed up Jesse's cell so fast.
"It's ok hon. The Palace was just overturned and the President of Yemen has stepped down. The Embassy is being prepared for evacuation. BUT, there are tons of Marines guarding the Embassy. It will make for a great war story someday….and WHO told you to turn on the news?!!!"
The next few days we heard Yemen being mentioned more times than I could handle. Orders were near being cut and the movers were almost knocking at my door. You see, our timeline was speedy. Hurry up, pack up, keep your head up, chin up, see you in a year.. type of style.
During all this Yemen slotted-ness, Jesse had already been chosen to be the next Secretary of General Staff here at Drum. That's what we were prepared for; not this fun, cruel joke of Yemen.
"I received my next assignment today, it's overseas", he casually stated as he finished washing the dishes after he returned home from work early at 6:30pm.
"London!", I replied as fast as my excitement grew.
"Yemen." He mumbled.
"London?" I asked dumbfoundly.
"No, Yemen."
Shit. Where the hell is Yemen?!, I quickly typed into Goggle. And from that day on, our lives turned into mass chaos. Until this last Friday. The 2-star General here was not too thrilled that his SGS guy was being taken out from under his nose. Today, the final notice went to HRC that Jesse will not be deploying to Yemen. I think the understanding of knowing that the Embassy was empty had something to do with being able to move him out of this slot. It was a fight; one that has left me beyond exhausted. But, that's nothing new with me. I had to start re-liking my house as fast. Every time I am told we are moving, my mind goes into a mode of starting to withdrawal and dislike things that I've found comfort in for the last year plus. Now, I am gaining back my fast feelings of comfort here and gearing up for the next hurdle ahead.
He will unroll his cot in his new office starting next week. He is leading the transition between the current and upcoming General here. Fun stuff, but not very hour friendly. Nothing this Army family isn't used to. I've just truly enjoyed my Hubby's company without a cell phone buzzing in each hand. He will deploy early Fall. And the kids and I will be here for the whole year. I cringe thinking about being snow-trapped in this house with my cra-cra. But thankfully, I have my battle buddies here to TRY and keep me sane.
I love Army Life.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment