Thursday, February 2, 2012

Village

Last night on American Idol, J. Lo was talking about how it takes a village to raise children.
Her answer was given to a young woman who had twins and her husband had cheated on her.
Of course, she made it through to the next round and her whole village rushed in to ambush her.

It made me think.
I wonder what it would be like to have a village.
I know I do have a distant village whom I love dearly
(Paukert's, Johnson's, PA-Paukert's).
But a village that is so close
and
available especially when Jesse is gone, to just randomly stop in to say "What's up, TaTa?".

While in MN,
I was given the third degree about not having "a real job".
I get that a lot especially from people at home.
"So Teresa, do you work? Your just at home, right? Are you ever going to get a job?"
I try to look at it from their point of view.
Because I see they don't give much thought to my lifestyle.
I get the fact that I am very fortunate to be at home with my children.
I do not take that for granted.
But when people look at me,
they take me for granted.

My life is not about me.
It's not about what job I would love to rush off to every day.
It's not about what talents I could offer a workplace.
It's not about the college degree I pay for every month.
It's not about the amount of money I could bring to the table.
I get it, I am a Mom. My life will never be about me.
But a military life?
It is about my husband.
It is about the military.
It is about giving him every opportunity possible to succeed in this crazy world.
It is about being there every second for my children because we don't have anyone else to do so.
It is about knowing how to uproot ourselves constantly.
It is about always saying goodbye to those few friends that mean the world to you.

Heck, at this point I'd even take the Village People.
Only if they knew how to change a diaper or make a meal.
Because honestly, I couldn't stand the extra noise or costume changes to clean up after.

I joke, but I don't think many realize how absolutely lonely and draining this Active-Duty Military lifestyle is to Stay-at-Home Moms.
I do it because I love my family.
I love my husband.
Who very much so loves this country.



4 comments:

Ellen said...

We are so grateful for YOUR service, Teresa. I wish you had the same kind of village I have come to depend on. (My parents popped in today.) But because of your selflessness and service, your family and our country will reap the rewards. I certainly do NOT take you for granted! Thank you.

P.S. Call me when you're lonely :) 763-515-3628

Noel Paukert said...

I look at you and my own daughters and I am in awe at all you and they do! We are so lucky to have them all close by so we can see them almost anytime. You are so brave to handle all that you do on your own and we wouldn't be the country we are without you and Jesse and all members of the military. Thank you, Thank you, THANK YOU!!!!!!! By the way, you have a beautiful family! Hang in there...prayer helps or go hide in the bathroom with a BIG bowl of ice cream and a magazine for a little peace and quiet and just ignore the pounding on the door! HA! That was MY way to remain sane!

Shop By T-Your Personal Shopper said...

Awww...you both are so sweet. Thanks for the wonderful words of encouragement! Much Love!

Mom said...

I couldn't be more proud of you and your family. What you do every day is so much more important than running off to a job. They all need their mom to be there for them when daddy is working. YOU make their day, and there's NOTHING more important than that. Hang in, my brave and strong girl.